Thursday, September 3, 2009

Kelso was here

It's my understanding that Austin American Statesman columnist John Kelso was in town today, doing some investigative reporting on Bastrop. My sources tell me he was working on a story about the valet parking controversy that has surrounded the new high end steak house in Bastrop called Hasler Brothers Steak House.

The steak house is right at the corner of Chestnut Street and Main, right behind the hallowed Bastropian bar known as Cindy's Downtown to a few, but all of my friends still call it "THE O.B." or "THE OYSTER BAR", after the legendary long term now defunct bar known as THE GENUINE OYSTER BAR: THE PEARL OF BASTROP, where Cindy's now resides.

I'll do some digging into this controversy and get back about the exact nature of the allegations. Since I don't have any reliable information about the valet parking controversy, I'll hold off stating what the controversy is until I know. Maybe Kelso will tell me.

If the Bastrop Advertiser was on line, I could just google it up and I'd be able to tell you what they report. But they are not online with any news presence, and somehow the last two papers got misplaced and now I can't find them.

As far as reserving parking spaces downtown, since they are public spaces, I'm against a business being able to commandeer spaces, even those in front of their business. Now, if they're having a parade or some kind of downtown festival with the streets closed, then that's an acceptable taking over of the parking spaces.

If you're having a large funeral at one of the churches downtown and need the spaces, by all means, block them off. If a convention of WWII vets is meeting on Memorial Day or the like for dinner downtown and are old and infirm and can barely walk then by all means block spaces off for these heroes to park for free. I won't mind walking an extra block.

There are several large lots within one (large lots behind Baxters and behind Lock's) and two block (Courthouse and 1st Baptist Church parking lots) walking distance or less. So it would seem there are plenty of free places to park for someone wanting to run a valet company.

As I mentioned, I saw that there was a recent article in the Bastrop Advertiser that discussed this controversy. Alas, I have not read it yet. I guess I'll have to wait to read Kelso to get the scoop. The Bastrop Advertiser writers are good, but not funny like Kelso can be when he gets on a roll. I'm at least firmly planted in middle age now and a lot of the stuff that tickles him makes me laugh too.

I like Kelso as a writer. I've never met him, but I bet he'd be a hoot to share a few beers with. On a personal note, he's mentioned he's undergoing treatment for cancer, and I certainly pray for him and wish him a speedy victory in his battle. War is hell, and based upon personal experience, I know cancer is just as much hell as war for the patient and family.

I generally agree with all of his non-political writings. I agree about half the time with his political views about State and National politics, but even I'll admit I laugh through some of his political commentary that I don't personally agree with.

So be looking for it. Although I didn't see any postings on telephone polls harkening back to the WWII legends that "Kilroy was here", the way my phone was ringing off the wall yesterday, you'd have thought that Kilroy himself appeared in Bastrop.

Maybe, if we're lucky, Kelso had the time and inclination to scratch a message into the valet kiosk at the Hasler Brothers Steak House. It would read "Kelso was here".

No comments:

Post a Comment