Friday, September 4, 2009

Bastrop Beer and Gun Club

I don't know if there is any interest out there, but I'm thinking about starting a club. I want to call it The Bastrop Beer and Gun Club. I'm going to order a few t-shirts emblazened with this name and give them out to a few friends, so be looking for them.

Perhaps some of you will comment on your interest in joining a loosely knit fraternal organization with that name. Is anyone interested in joining my club?

Friends of mine in Houston and Dallas, years ago, formed some loose knit fraternal organizations and called them alternately The Montrose Beer and Gun Club or the Deep Ellum Beer and Gun Club. It was mostly folks who lived inside the city, loved music and occasionally hitting a bar or two, and having fun.

The name, a play on an age old institution called The Rod and Gun Club, which many communities large and small have had for generations, is not totally accurate. Beer and guns don't mix, as we well know, so the club would concentrate mainly on congregating in the various Main Street bars on occasion as a fraternal organization. We would drink, and hopefully laugh ourselves silly talking about our town and our county and our people. No guns would be involved.

I'm not by nature a joiner, and usually the more rules a fraternal organization has, the less likely I am to join. Take the Masons, for instance. Rules rules rules. So for the Bastrop Beer and Gun Club, there's only two rules: #1 There are no rules except for rule #2, which is have fun.

If you are handy with graphic design and would like to design a logo, email it to me. Chances are, I'll use it. No nudity, and no mullets please.

No comments:

Post a Comment