Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bastrop's 2009 Halloween Fest Extravaganza Celebration

Next to Christmas, I think Halloween is the holiday event that most kids love. I know I did. When I was a child, I remember that the huge celebration our elementary school had was the event to end all events. Those of you who live in Bastrop know how much community spirit gets involved in Halloween each year, and what an excellent example it is of just how great small town living can be. Each year, the wife and I thank our lucky stars that we have such a great old-timey event in the town where we live.

This year, it's sure to be a Halloween extraordinaire, as Halloween Fest will happen on Saturday night from 5 p.m to 9 p.m. You can go here to the DBA website and see some of the fun that has been planned. http://www.bastropdba.com/halloween.html

Of course, there's the Haunted House set up at the Need For Speed car repair shop on Chestnut. And right across the street is the Hayrides at the Fire Station. But literally, the entire town turns out for the Main Street festivities that delight Bastropians young and old. Of course, there will be the Costume Contest and the Pumpkin Decorating Contest. And it costs nothing. That's right. It's Free!

This year, I'd like to salute the Downtown Business Alliance for all that they do to make Halloween such a wonderful occasion. Main Street is shut down to traffic, and turns into a parade of costumed children and their parents enjoying a wide variety of games and fun.

One event that I'm TOTALLY excited about will be the 1st Annual Lip Sync Contest which will be held from 7 p.m to 9 p.m. There will also be another new event, a LIVE WAX MUSEUM. You can get further information about this most excellent addition to our town's Halloween festivities if you contact Martha at mjgranger@austin.rr.com or (512) 944-2112. There will be some significant cash prizes for the best Lip Syncer's and it is sure to become an annual event that is beloved at our annual Halloween Fest.

Martha is one of the regular readers here at Bastrop Bad Hair, and invited yours truly to act as a judge. I'm flattered, and I do certainly plan to attend that particular event, but I have to opt out this year because my kids deserve 100% of my attention. Like every year, we spend a lot of time downtown, and then head off through the neighborhoods of the Historic District for trick or treating. After dark has set in, we often go to the numerous yard parties that our freinds and neighbors here in Bastrop hold for the kids. I've never been asked to judge anything, but I have to say that watching my kids smile and laugh and run and play like we did in the days of old takes precedence over anything else.

While you're out and about at Halloween Fest, be sure to take a moment and thank the volunteers like Martha who take their time and energy and put it to use so that our kids can enjoy this great event. Likewise, be sure to thank our excellent firefighters and police officers who keep us safe every day. David Board and the men and women of the Bastrop Police Department, as well as the other law enforcement officers of our community, face death every day keeping us and our families safe, and they don't get thanked enough. Same for the firefighters, who are mostly volunteers. Take a moment and thank them for keeping us safe.

Likewise, be sure to thank our elected and appointed City of Bastrop representatives who also make this excellent celebration, and so many others, possible.

Lastly, remember that our Downtown Business Alliance and other townfolk spend their time and money to make this town great on Halloween and on other occasions. How do we repay them? By shopping at their stores and by using their professional services, that's how. Buy local, whenever possible. I don't have a financial interest in any business or store in Bastrop County, but I do try to shop and buy local whenever possibly.

Pay special attention, folks, to those businesses who sponsor this and other events in our community, as they are truly giving back to our community what we spend in their businesses. I'll have to say, I also note who is not supporting our community, and I often encourage them to do so in future activities.

I'll see you on Halloween. I'm still mulling my costume for this year. I've seen a lot of good Octo-Mom costumes appearing on the web, as well as some Jon and Kate plus 8. I'm loath to buy an Ed Hardy T-Shirt to portray Jon, but it might happen. If anyone else has a costume idea for me, be sure to let me know. I may dress up as a person of Wal-Mart.

A special tip o' the hat to Martha for giving me the heads up about the Lip Sync and Live Wax Museum additions to Halloween Fest.

This event gets attended by folks from far and wide. Folks from Austin and San Marcos often bring their kids to this event because there is nothing like it in their towns.

And remember, keep a good eye out for kiddos when you are driving around on Saturday. Let the Haunting begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment